Wednesday, July 04, 2012

GoogleAxe


I thought it was something I had done as I searched for my iGoogle fix of new items and was failing to connect. It must have been down to that Chrome upgrade, or maybe I had forgotten some login but no matter what I had lost the connection. Then I discovered it wasn’t anything I had done or not done, Google had decide to close it down. However the close date is some 18 months away so perhaps it was me!
Google has a great policy of experimentation and also a great track record of closing down stuff. Today it’s the turn of five more services, which include better known Google Video and iGoogle.
Google Video sat uncomfortably alongside Google-owned YouTube and stopped accepting uploads some two years ago. So if you have video in there you have until August 20th to move them across to YouTube. Google Video’s shutdown is arriving much sooner, however, so if you’ve dragged your feet in moving videos over to YouTube, now is the time. Google Video is no more as of August 20th. T
Just incase you missed some of the earlier Spring clean casualties:
Google Bookmarks Lists, Google Friend Connect, Google Gears, Google Search Timeline, Google Wave, Knol, Renewable Energy Cheaper than Coal, Aardvark, Desktop, Fast Flip, Google Maps API for Flash, Google Pack, Google Web Security, Image Labeler, Notebook, Sidewiki, Subscribed Links,Google Flu Vaccine Finder, Google Related, Google Sync for BlackBerry, mobile web app for Google Talk, One Pass, Patent Search, Picasa for Linux, Picasa Web Albums Uploader for Mac and Picasa Web Albums Plugin for iPhoto, and all Slide products. 

No comments: